Casual/ part time
Hours: 12-hour shifts, rotational shifts, including mornings and evenings and weekends. NO overnight shifts.
Central West Specialized Developmental Services (CWSDS) is a leader in providing supportive living, community participation supports and specialized services, assessment and treatment to people who have developmental and intellectual disabilities, dual diagnosis, and/or challenging behaviours throughout the municipalities of Halton, Peel and Dufferin and the regions of Waterloo and Wellington.
Central West Specialized Developmental Services (CWSDS) has embarked on a journey with the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO) to become the first Best Practice Spotlight Organization (BPSO) provincially, nationally and internationally within the Developmental Services congregate care sector. We began this journey with a shared purpose and vision to improve health outcomes and further enhance the lives of the people we support by providing exemplary quality services based on evidence-based resources.
As a specialist in the field of developmental an intellectual disabilities, CWSDS has experienced continued growth over the last five years. As such, we are looking to hire a Registered Nurse (RN) on a casual/ part time basis . This position will report to the Health Services Manager.
- Acting as the Registered Nurse for people supported as assigned.
- Providing health teaching and resource material to direct support professionals regarding the management of overall preventative health care including specific diseases and conditions.
- Interpreting the physician’s orders to direct support professionals
- Teaching new techniques, procedures, treatments and skills related to the health needs of the persons supported
- Administering treatments and performing procedures that require nursing skills, such as prescribed injections, blood pressure.
- Completing nursing assessments, progress reports and health care plans in accordance with persons supported health needs.
- Liaising with hospital staff when persons supported are admitted on a short-term basis.
- Responding to medical emergencies as required and providing appropriate follow-up
- Monitoring drug therapy in accordance with the physician’s orders and agency policy.
- Maintaining appropriate documentation for persons supported as assigned.
- Performing delegated medical acts sanctioned by the Ontario College of Nurses.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing, with registration as a Nurse (R.N.) in Ontario, plus experience after graduation providing nursing services to persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities, mental health challenges and challenging behaviours.
- Maintains a Valid Standard First Aid and CPR/AED “Level C” Certificate.
- Proven experience providing professional nursing services to persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities including Autism and/or mental health disorders.
- Knowledge of preventative health care and management of psychiatric and behavioural issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a clinical team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word and Excel.
- Very good oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to work morning, afternoon, evening and weekend shifts
- Valid Ontario G Class Driver’s License and a vehicle for conducting visits and other related activities.
- Providing proof of vaccination for COVID-19 and maintaining vaccination status as necessary from time to time during employment.
LOCATION: Oakville. Some travel required across Halton Region
HOURS OF WORK: Rotational12-hour shifts, morning, afternoon/ evening and every other weekend shifts. No overnight.
Overall nursing experience will be considered for placing in the salary grid.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Central West Specialized Developmental Services will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
We thank all applicants for your interest in our organization but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.