Health Services Manager (RN)
Hours: Monday to Friday
Salary: 63,697 - 92,178
Central West Specialized Developmental Services (CWSDS) is a leader in providing supportive living, community participation supports and specialized services, assessment and treatment to people who have developmental and intellectual disabilities, dual diagnosis, and/or challenging behaviours throughout the municipalities of Halton, Peel and Dufferin and the regions of Waterloo and Wellington.
As a specialist in the field of developmental and intellectual disabilities, CWSDS has experienced continued growth over the last five years. As such, we are looking to hire a Health Services Manager (RN) on a full-time basis.
- Provide supervision, support, mentorship and oversight for the direct support nurses (RNs) in the Health Services Department
- Conduct legislative, regulatory, training and compliance activities
- Development of applicable Policy and Procedure as required to include accreditation standards and guidelines
- Assist with the recruitment, selection, orientation, staff development and evaluation of RN’s
- Ensure the delivery of safe, competent, person–centred nursing care in line with CWSDS’s Mission, Vision, and Values: Develop and implement person-centered care plans including but not limited to; individual care assessment, implementation and evaluation of health care plans, admissions/discharge, and medication administration
- Ensure the Health Services Department is maintaining accurate and up to date records including reports, health care plans/ protocols and associated evaluations, PRN/ DNR protocols etc.
- Identify areas of improvement, evaluates and manages/ensures service satisfaction of the people we support and their families in Supportive Living homes
- Promote collaborative teamwork within a multidisciplinary team: Direct Support Professionals, RN’s, care providers, Physicians, and other professionals
- Participate in agency committees, Annual Individual Support Plans (ISP’s), staff education, research and other structured committees relevant to this position.
- Coordinate all RN personnel, supplies and equipment in a fiscally responsible manner to achieve desired results
- Conduct Supportive Living home visits to monitor nursing skills, performance, and interactions with persons supported
- Consult with the Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Behavioural Analyst and Speech-Language Pathologist as required
- Teach new techniques, procedures, treatments and skills consistent with the needs of direct care staff relating to the health needs of the people we support and within the mandate of a Registered Nurse.
- Provide information and reports to the Director of Quality, Performance and Professional Services as required.
- Ensure adherence to ethical practices and investigate any reported ethical dilemmas.
- Participate in on-call nursing responsibilities as required.
- Examining and monitoring the people we support, interpreting physician’s orders, responding to medical emergencies, monitoring drug therapy and completing all required documentation and reports
- Coordinating clinics, liaising with hospitals, families and substitute decision makers as needed
- Educate direct support professionals /family regarding the management of specific diseases and medical conditions, such as diabetes, epilepsy, head lice, scabies, etc.
- Coordinating referral information to medical consultants and ensuring the follow up of recommendations.
- Monitoring, evaluating and participating in the medication delivery system of medications and treatments for the people we support.
- Lead/participate in the RNAO/ BPSO initiative
- Lead and assist in the development and delivery of CWSDS’ occupational health and safety education and training, including all activities related to infection Prevention and Control. Identify specific areas of risk for the health and safety of CWSDS staff, to help reduce illness in the workplace
- Coordinate immunization activities, such as the annual Influenza campaign and participates in COVID19 surveillance testing as required.
- Provide on-site Rapid Antigen testing and ordering of PCR lab testing and Rapid Antigen Kit supplies
- Participate with healthy workplace promotion and health education activities
- Recommend/implement policies to maintain a safe and healthy workplace
- Accurately maintain documentation of services provided to employees to ensure currency and validity of information, with CWSDS remaining as the steward of employee health information.
- Providing support to the community nurses within the Dual Diagnosis Services and Community Networks of Specialized Care as a clinical resource.
- Performing other duties that include but are not limited to completing special projects as assigned.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing, with registration as a Nurse (R.N.) in Ontario, plus significant experience after graduation providing professional nursing services to persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities, mental health challenges and challenging behaviours.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a Nurse Supervisor/Manager in a unionized environment is required.
- Must have knowledge of OH&S and MCCSS legislation and be able to provide supervision and direction to staff in ensuring safety to people we support, self and co-workers.
- Must have knowledge of Infection Prevention and Control policies and practices and be able to effectively communicate these to the people we support, family, and staff.
- Knowledge of the theories, methods, and techniques of developing nursing treatment programs for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, autism, and in particular those with a dual diagnosis.
- Demonstrated abilities to work independently without daily supervision and colleague support.
- Strong assessment, planning, priority setting, and problem-solving skills in order to organize and carry out a demanding workload and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated skills in developing relationships with community service organizations such as laboratories, clinics, CCAC and Public Health.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely as a member of an inter-disciplinary assessment and treatment team.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and listening skills in order to consult effectively with people under your care, their families, various other community-based organizations and professionals.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, are required to prepare assessments and nursing/medical treatment plans, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to mediate and resolve conflicts in a fair and consistent manner.
- Demonstrated critical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making skills in clinical and operational aspects.
- Computer skills are required in working in data entry system (AIMS) and Microsoft Office.
- Strong judgement skills in providing professional nursing services to the people we support in accordance with the Standards of Nursing Practices of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Good initiative and judgement in order to carry out the assigned responsibilities in a time-effective manner, as well as in determining when to inform, or consult with, the Director of Clinical Services or delegate regarding a situation, issue, or problem that is outside of the norm.
- Maintains a Valid Standard First Aid and CPR/AED “Level C” Certificate.
- Flexibility to work days, afternoon and some weekend shifts
- A valid Ontario driver’s license and a vehicle to travel to CWSDS properties across the region.
- Providing proof of vaccination for COVID-19 and maintaining vaccination status as necessary from time to time during employment.
LOCATION: 53 Bond St, Oakville. L6K 1L8
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Central West Specialized Developmental Services will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
We thank all applicants for your interest in our organization but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted