Day Services Support Worker
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Salary: $26.05 - $28.02/ hour
Central West Specialized Developmental Services (CWSDS) is a leader in providing supportive living, community participation supports and specialized services, assessment and treatment to people who have developmental and intellectual disabilities, dual diagnosis, and/or challenging behaviours throughout the municipalities of Halton, Peel and Dufferin and the regions of Waterloo and Wellington.
As a specialist in the field of developmental an intellectual disabilities, CWSDS has experienced continued growth over the last five years. As such, we are looking to hire a Day Services Support Worker on a full time permanent basis. This position will report to Manager, Day Services.
- Acting as advocate for individuals in identifying and ensuring that his/her needs are met.
- Developing and implementing Personal Support Plans for clients.
- Supporting individuals in the development of individual life skills and decision making, including but not limited to teaching daily living skills, engaging in meaningful activities through the day and utilizing personal interaction skills (e.g. modeling behaviours, counseling, mentoring and coaching)
- Assisting individuals in daily routines and activities of daily living, including personal hygiene, bathing, toileting as required
- Ensuring individuals’ participation in vocational programs, education and social opportunities.
- Planning and implementing activities that meet the client’s recreational and leisure needs
- Providing First Aid and dispensing medication as required
- Transporting individuals to various activities and appointments as needed using approved means of transportation.
- Ensuring accurate and up to date documentation as detailed in policies and procedures.
- Ensuring the health and safety of those in this program and that the environment is safe and free of hazards.
- Using equipment and wearing protective devices or clothing that the employer deems as required, including the use of fit-tested N95 respirator and/or similar equipment.
- Working shifts in accordance with the schedule.
- Working as a team member in planning and implementing activities and routines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Developmental Services Worker Diploma (DSW)
- Candidates who do not hold a DSW diploma may be considered if they have a Diploma (minimum 2 year program) or Degree from a recognized Community College/University in Social/Human Services.
- Candidates that are hired who do not hold a DSW Diploma will be required to complete Pharmacology within the first 6 months of employment plus 4 additional DSW courses within the first 2 years of employment.
- A minimum of two years’ previous experience supporting people with a developmental disability, mental illness or Dual Diagnosis
- First Aid and Advanced Safe Management certifications are required.
- An ability to work within a team, with other support providers, families, volunteers and community members
- Very good oral and written communication skills.
- A valid Class G driver’s license and willingness to drive.
- Providing proof of vaccination for COVID-19 and maintaining vaccination status as necessary from time to time during employment.
The successful applicant will be hired in accordance with the provisions set out in Article 10.04 of the current Collective Agreement.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Central West Specialized Developmental Services will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.