The CWSDS main building has a long history. Originally the site of an orphanage built in 1910 and later used as a training facility and hospital during WWII, our building has provided support for people for over 100 years.
In 1972, the Ministry of Government Services purchased the 12 acres from the Federal Government, known then as the Ortona Army Barracks, and constructed a property as a facility to support people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Oaklands Regional Centre began providing supportive living services for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities from the Regions of Halton, Dufferin and Peel in 1975.
Oaklands Regional Centre expanded to assume responsibility for Halton Support Services in 1986 which provides a wide range of community supports to over one thousand people and their families in Halton Region. In 2000, a Respite Program opened to provide non-emergency respite for families and caregivers of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
In 2005, Oaklands began a process to change its name to Central West Specialized Developmental Services, and increased the emphasis on community-based services. Since then, CWSDS has launched the Dual Diagnosis Service (2006), administered the Central West Passport Program (since 2006), and opened multiple Community Supportive Living Homes (first in 2008).
Additionally, CWSDS assumed the role of the lead agency for the Central West Network of Specialized Care (2009), launched the Short Term Assessment and Treatment Environment (STATE) (2010), continued to open new Community Supportive Living Homes and Specialized Supportive Living Programs (including 2 focused on geriatric needs), and has achieved full accreditation through Focus Accreditation Services for over 10 years (2012 – today).