The CWSDS main building has a long history. Originally the site of an orphanage built in 1910 and later used as a training facility and hospital during WWII, our building has provided homes for over 100 years.
In 1972, the Ministry of Government Services purchased the 12 acres from the Federal Government, known then as the Ortona Army Barracks, and constructed a property as a facility to support people with a developmental disability. Oaklands Regional Centre began providing residential care and support for people with developmental disabilities from the Regions of Halton, Dufferin and Peel in 1975.
Oaklands Regional Centre expanded to assume responsibility for Halton Support Services in 1986 and they provide a wide range of non-residential supports to over one thousand individuals and families in Halton Region. In 2000, a Respite Program opened to provide non – emergency respite for families and caregivers of persons with developmental disabilities.
In 2005, Oaklands began a process to change its name to Central West Specialized Developmental Services, and increased the emphasis on community-based services. Since then, CWSDS has launched the Dual Diagnosis Service (2006), the Passport Initiative (2006), and community residences (first in 2008).
In 2009, CWSDS assumed the role of the lead agency for the Community Network of Specialized Care for the Central West Region and began the accreditation process through Focus Accreditation Services. The STATE program began operating at CWSDS in 2010.